The CIO Strategy Council is pleased to release a series of webcasts in collaboration with Deloitte Canada sharing the latest information and insights for technology executives to better respond to the changing business environments of their operations and technologies. The “Conversations with Tech Leaders Shaping the Future of Canada” webcast series is available for viewing here.
Check out the most recent uploads featuring:
Bruce Burrows, the SVP and CIO of Sobeys – video posted on July 28, 2022
- In this episode, viewers and listeners gain insight into Burrows’ life journey and how he became the SVP and CIO of one of the largest groceries and retailers in the country. Burrows explores the various strategic uses for technology and discusses the roadblocks and challenges that might come with transitioning to a more digital-oriented organization. Burrows explains how one can source, retain, and build talent, the importance of the industry to the overall economy, and many other businesses and technology-oriented topics.
Rex Lee, CIO of Canadian Tire – video posted on July 28, 2022
- In this episode, viewers and listeners gain insight into Lee’s background and how he became the CIO of one of Canada’s most admired and trusted companies, Canadian Tire. Lee leads the technology and digital portfolio and shares what Canadian Tire is currently working on as well as the challenges they’re facing. By exploring the strategic application of technology, audience members will gain knowledge about different approaches to various topics such as customer service and satisfaction, as well as pragmatic applications in the workplace.
Laura Money, EVP & CIO at SunLife Financial – video posted on July 28, 2022
- In this episode, viewers and listeners gain insight into Money’s background and how she became the executive vice president and the CIO of one of Canada’s largest financial institutions, otherwise known as Sun Life Financial. Money explains how taking the opportunity to do lateral moves helped her career grow and why taking a chance and trying something new could be beneficial for everyone. By discussing how mental and physical health are correlated, Money goes into depth about how focusing on your physical health gives you mental resources that prove to be useful. Money explains the role of a Canadian technology executive and discusses where the role may be heading in the future. She also goes into depth about the business and technical challenges one might face in their career and how to properly deal with them.
Harry Pickett, EVP and CIO of Co-Operators – video posted on August 24, 2022
- In this episode, viewers and listeners gain insight into Pickett’s background. By shedding light on the importance of having confidence in oneself and having an optimistic mindset, Pickett explores what it means to succeed in the workplace and build strong business relationships along the way. He shares various tips and tricks when it comes to getting and keeping executive support and executive buy-in.
Lisa Porlier, Tech Executive recruitment in Canada – video posted on September 14, 2022
- In this episode, viewers and listeners gain insight into Porlier’s background and how she became the Managing Director and Technology Practice leader with Russell Reynolds Associates, a global Executive Search industry leading organization. Porlier goes into depth about Tech Executive recruitment in Canada and the current state of the technology executive search and explains why there is an acceleration in demand for top technology executives. Porlier explains the importance of critical skills, influencing capabilities, and the ability to synthesize and put things into a business framework to communicate to other business leaders. Porlier explores the critical skills needed for today’s top-tier executives, such as: curiosity, orchestration of change, transformational leadership, self-awareness, and a plethora of others. Viewers learn how leading organizations view the background of a candidate, including their academic achievements in addition to their professional background and experience. Porlier gives viewers a sneak-peak into Canada’s Technology Executive recruitment world.
For media inquiries:
Senior Project Manager, Standards
CIO Strategy Council
About the CIO Strategy Council
The CIO Strategy Council is Canada’s national forum that brings together the country’s most forward-thinking chief information officers and executive technology leaders to collectively mobilize on common digital priorities. Cutting across major sectors of the Canadian economy – public, private and not for profit – the Council harnesses the collective expertise and action of Canada’s CIOs to propel Canada as a digital-first nation. The CIO Strategy Council is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada and develops standards that support the data-driven economy.
About Deloitte Canada
Deloitte provides audit & assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. Deloitte serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies through a globally connected network of member firms in more than 150 countries and territories bringing world-class capabilities, insights and service to address clients’ most complex business challenges. Deloitte LLP is the Canadian member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, which is a network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity.